This dish was created for the subreddit, /r/52weeksofcooking, where the theme was “Casseroles”. The theme for this week is way too large because there are so many things that can be classified as casseroles. My favourite being lasagna but I have made that way too many times so I decided to go more of classic that did not use cream of anything soup. This was definitely a good option due to how delicious it was. Also, with the colder weather coming in, I was craving comfort food.
I do have to say though, this is more filling than it looks and my eyes were much bigger than my stomach. But left overs for days!
Almost any type of ground meat can be used here but I had Bison on hand.
If you use a higher fat meat, drain the liquid after cooking.
- Preparation Time: 25 minutes
- Cooking Time: 50 minutes
- Waiting Time: 5 minutes
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook the Egg Noodles per package instructions until harder than al dente, they will cook more while baking (about 5 minutes).
- Once cooked, drain the Egg Noodles, and set aside.
- While the Egg Noodles are cooking, dice the Onions, and slice the White and Cremini Mushrooms. Set aside.
- Add the Cooking Oil to a large skillet and heat over medium heat (about 3 minutes).
- When the Oil is hot, add the Ground Bison, and cook until browned (about 5 minutes).
- Add the diced Onions, sliced Mushrooms, Garlic Powder, Kosher Salt, and Freshly Ground Pepper. Stir to combine.
- Continue to saute until the Onions are translucent and the Mushrooms are soft (about 3 – 5 minutes).
- Add the Tomato Sauce and Worcestershire Sauce. Stir to combine. Simmer until the mixture thickens slightly (about 3 – 5 minutes).
- While the mixture thickens, shred the Cheddar Cheese and slice half of the Green Onions. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Return the drained Egg Noodles to the pot, with the heat turned off. Add the Beef & Tomato mixture, the drained Diced Tomatoes, the Sour Cream, half of the shredded Cheddar Cheese, and the sliced Green Onions. Stir to combine.
- Transfer the mixture to a baking or casserole dish.
- Top the casserole with the remaining Cheddar Cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the casserole is bubbling around the edges and the top is starting to brown (about 30 minutes).
- Remove from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes.
- While the casserole is resting, slice the remaining Green Onions, and sprinkle on top of the casserole.