This dish was created for the subreddit, /r/52weeksofcooking, where the theme was “California Cuisine”. I grew up in California so when I saw this theme, I got a little nostalgic. Just the other week I was talking about how much I miss California burritos. I mean beans and rice are good and all but some times I want fries in my burrito. This definitely cured my craving for one and I am glad that I have enough to make a few more.
A California burrito is just a burrito in a flour tortilla with sour cream, meat, cheese, and fries. The kind of meat is entirely up to you but I used what I had on hand.
- Cuisine: Fusion
- Preparation Time: 25 minutes
- Cooking Time: 65 minutes
- Waiting Time: 8 Hours
Carne Asada Ingredients
Baked French Fries Ingredients
California Burrito Ingredients
- Start out by marinating the Carne Asada; juice the Lime, add to a large resealable bag, peel and mince the Garlic, add the minced Garlic to the bag, juice the Orange into the bag, chop the Cilantro, add to the bag, add the Kosher Salt, add the Black Pepper, add the Olive Oil, seed and chop the Jalapeno, add to the bag, add the White Vinegar, and finally add the Steak.
- Squish the bag around to get the marinade all over the Steak. Seal the large bag and refrigerate for at least 2 hours to overnight.
- When ready to cook the rest of the meal, preheat an oven to 450 degrees.
- Slice the Potatoes into wedges, not too thin, and add to a large bowl.
- Add the Olive Oil, Paprika, Garlic Powder, Chili Powder, and Onion Powder to the bowl.
- Using your hands, coat all of the Potatoes with the Oil Spice mixture.
- Bake in the preheated over for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat an outdoor grill for high heat.
- Remove the Steak from the marinade, discarding the excess. Cook on the heated grill for 7 – 10 minutes per side.
- Once the Steak is done, remove from the grill, and let rest for 10 minutes. Slice.
- While the steak is resting, heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Once the Steak and Fries are done, prepare the burrito. Place 1 Tablespoon of Sour Cream on each Tortilla, followed by the sliced Carne Asada, Baked French Fries, and grate the Cheddar Cheese into the Tortilla.
- Roll up the Burrito and cook on the cast iron skillet until slightly brown, (about 1 minute per side).