This dish was created for the subreddit, /r/52weeksofcooking, where the theme was “Cafeteria Food”. As soon as I read this theme, I immediately thought of those really terrible sloppy joes from primary school which I am sure was just some sort of meat and ketchup. Well I decided to make it better and was very successful. Maybe it had a slight nostalgic effect but either way my SO and I devoured this.
I used Bison here but most ground meats could easily be substituted.
For the mustard in this, I ended up using sweet hot mustard because I hate regular yellow mustard but if you like it, then it could definitely be used.
- Cuisine: American
- Preparation Time: 10 minutes
- Cooking Time: 35 minutes
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- Peel and chop the Onion, seed and chop the Green Bell Pepper.
- When the skillet is hot, add the chopped Onion, Green Bell Pepper, and Ground Bison. Cook until the meat is browned (about 5 minutes).
- Drain off the fat.
- Stir in the Garlic Powder, Mustard, Ketchup, and Brown Sugar.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Season with Salt and Pepper. Serve on Buns.