This dish was created for the subreddit, /r/52weeksofcooking, where the theme was “Vacation Food”. There is this Italian restaurant near my parent’s house that I visit at least once or twice a year and someone at the table almost always orders this. Does it taste better? Probably but the flavours are very different. Given that, this is really damn good and I plan on making this many many times.
I used Bison here but most ground meats could easily be substituted.
Also, I forgot to cover mine when I baked it which gave it a bit of a crunchy top, which I like, but if you do not, just follow the recipe and cover it.
Also, I used dried “Italian Seasoning” which I do not normally do because I made some a few weeks back and trying to use it up. It is a mix of Basil, Marjoram, Oregano, Rosemary, Thyme, and Garlic Powder but you can play around with it if you want.
- Cuisine: Italian
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- Cooking Time: 65 minutes
- Waiting Time: 5 minutes
- In a large saucepan, heat the Olive Oil over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, chop the Onion.
- When the Oil is hot, add the Bison, Italian Sausage, and Onion. Cook until the meat is fully cooked (about 5 – 7 minutes).
- Meanwhile, dice the Garlic and slice the Mushrooms.
- When the meat is cooked through, add the minced Garlic, cook for an additional minute, and drain the fat from the saucepan.
- Stir in diced Tomatoes, Tomato Sauce, Tomato Paste, sliced Mushrooms, 1/2 cup of water, Kosher Salt, Italian Seasoning, Pepper, and Bay Leaf.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat he oven to 350 degrees.
- While the sauce is cooking, start the Mostaccioli by bringing a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the Mostaccioli and cook until al dente (about 10 minutes).
- Drain the Mostaccioli and set aside.
- When the sauce is done cooking, remove the Bay Leaf and stir in the cooked Mostaccioli.
- Spoon half of the Mostaccioli mixture into a 13 x 9 in baking dish.
- Spread the shredded Mozzarella cheese over the top, top with the remaining Mostaccioli mixture, and top with the Parmesan Cheese.
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for an additional 5 minutes.
- Let stand 5 minutes.