This dish was part of a meal that was created for the subreddit, /r/52weeksofcooking, where the theme was “Southern”. I have a few friends from the South and I have been there a couple times so I had a few different options for dishes. The hard part was trying to make something that I have never had before. Then I realised that I have never had blackened catfish even though I have seen it on a bunch of menus. How could I not like this? Catfish and Cajun spices? Sign me up!
The flavour on this was really good but it was a tad bit spicy. You could easily leave out the A** Blood and it will still be delicious.
A** Blood is a hot chili powder that I make with ghost chilis but you can use any sort of hot sauce or powder.
I ended up making my own Italian dressing and I suggest you do the same because of how delicious and easy it is but you could use store bought.
- Cuisine: Cajun
- Preparation Time: 10 minutes
- Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, mix together the Cayenne Powder, A** Blood, Lemon Pepper, Garlic Powder, Kosher Salt, and Black Pepper.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet of medium-high heat.
- Melt the Butter and brush both sides of the Catfish Fillets.
- Rub the spices on both sides of the Catfish.
- When the skillet is very hot, fry the Catfish on eat side until slightly blackened (about 1 1/2 – 2 minutes).
- Arrange the Catfish in a single layer on the baking sheet and coat with the Italian Dressing.
- Bake until easily flaked with a fork (about 15 – 20 minutes).