This dish was created for the subreddit, /r/52weeksofcooking, where the theme was “Pie”. I am assuming that they picked this theme because of Pi day which is the best day mostly because I am a big math geek. Does not matter what the reason was, I decided I that I did not want to make a sweet pie because I wanted dinner and I did not want to do a normal pot pie because that can be boring. Then I saw these and I had to have them. I was very pleased with the outcome and I am very happy that these freeze well because I plan to eat the hell out of them!
I used Italian Sausage and Bison even though they are not very german but oh well. You can substitute different ground meats if you want.
These rolls actually turned out so good that I might use this recipe for normal sweet rolls!
Also, I have never used powdered milk before because the concept kind of grosses me out but it really helped here!
- Cuisine: German
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- Cooking Time: 35 minutes
- Waiting Time: 40 minutes
- Start by making the dough; in a small bowl, combine the Yeast, Sugar, and 2 Cups Warm Water. Mix together and let stand until very frothy (about 10 minutes).
- While the Yeast is activating, start mixing the dry ingredients. In a large bowl, combine the Flour, Powdered Milk, Baking Powder, and Shortening. Mix very well.
- After the Yeast is done, stir in the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
- Knead the dough for 10 minutes, adding Flour 1/8 of a cup at a time until getting a slightly sticky consistency. The goal is to add the least amount of Flour as you can.
- Cover with a damp tea towel and let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- While the dough is rising, start to make the filling; dice the Onion and brown the Bison, Sausage, and diced Onion in a large skillet over medium high heat, stirring occasionally (about 5 – 7 minutes).
- While the meat and Onion are cooking, shred the Cabbage and set aside. You should have about 3 cups.
- When the meat and Onion are browned, drain the extra fat from the skillet. Stir in the shredded Cabbage, Mustard, Kosher Salt, and Pepper. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 350 degees.
- After 5 minutes, shred the Cheddar Cheeses and add to the skillet. Cook and stir until all the Cheese is melted (about 1 – 3 minutes). Set aside the filling.
- After the dough has risen for 30 minutes, divide the dough into 10 equal pieces.
- Take one piece of dough, knead for about 1 minute, and flatten the dough on a lightly floured surface.
- Add about 1/2 cup of meat and cabbage filling to the middle of the flattened dough, fold the rest of the dough over the filling, and lay folded side down in a lightly greased baking dish. A 9×13 inch baking dish worked perfect for this.
- Repeat steps 12 and 13 for the remaining 9 pieces of dough.
- Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown (about 20 minutes).