This dish was created for the subreddit, /r/52weeksofcooking, where the theme was “One Pot”. I have never cooked with mussels before but have always really liked theme so I thought this would be a perfect time. Also, my friend made paella recently and it looked really good and I wanted to try my hand at it.
The greatest thing about Paella is how versatile it is; you can add pretty much anything you want to it. Usually I add scallops to mine but completely forgot to this time. Oh well!
Obviously, I did not use a Paella pan because well… I do not have one. I bet this would have made less of a mess and tasted a lot better. If you do not have one, just use a really large skillet. It will look much better and more authentic in a paella pan though.
- Course: Entree
- Cuisine: Spanish
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- Cooking Time: 45 minutes
- Heat Olive Oil in a paella pan or large skillet over medium heat.
- While the Olive Oil is heating up, chop the Onion, peel and mince the Garlic, and chop the Red Bell Pepper. Add to the hot Olive Oil and stir to coat.
- Cook until the Onion translucent and the Garlic is fragrant (about 3 – 5 minutes).
- While the Onion, Garlic, and Pepper are cooking, remove the Chorizo from the casing and dice and cut the Chicken into bite sized cubes.
- Add the diced Chorizo, cut up Chicken, and Arborio Rice to the skillet.
- Cook until the chicken is starting to brown on all sides (about 3 or 4 minutes), stirring frequently.
- Stir in 2 Cups of the Chicken Broth, White Wine, Thyme Sprigs, Saffron Threads, Kosher Salt, and Pepper. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- After 15 minutes, taste the Rice, and check to see if it is cooked. If the Rice is uncooked, add the remaining 1 1/2 Cups of Chicken broth, and continue cooking until Rice is cooked (about 5 – 10 minutes), stirring occasionally.
- While everything is cooking, seed and chop the Tomatoes, peel and devein the Shrimp, clean and debeard the Mussels, chop the Flat Leaf Parsley, and slice the Lemon into 8 slices. Set aside.
- When the Rice is done cooking, stir in the chopped Tomatoes and Peas. Cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Arrange the Prawns and Mussels on top of everything.
- Cover with foil and continue to cook until the Shrimp and Mussels are done (about 3 – 5 minutes).
- Remove the foil, remove any Mussels that did not open, remove the Thyme sprigs if you can find them, scatter Parsley over the food, and garnish with Lemon slices.