A while back I decided to try to make foods that I normally eat and improve on them. Black beans were the first thing I tried and the difference is amazing. I cook with black beans a lot so I used to just cook them in water and freeze the rest but the flavour on this is much better. You can either make enough for a meal or make large batch and freeze the rest.
You cannot really see the tomatoes, onion, or peppers but they do give these a lot of flavour.
- Course: Ingredient
- Preparation Time: 10 minutes
- Cooking Time: 4 Hours
- Pour out the Black Beans on a baking sheet and sort through any stones or damaged Beans. Place in a colander and rinse well.
- Peel and mince the Garlic, chop the Onion, and seed and chop the Jalapeno and Serrano Peppers.
- Place the rinsed Black Beans, diced Garlic, chopped Onion, chopped Jalapeno Pepper, chopped Serrano Pepper, diced Tomatoes (with Juices), Cumin, Bay Leaves, Red Pepper Flakes, and Chicken Broth to a slow cooker.
- Secure the light and turn the heat to high and cook for 4 hours.
- After 4 hours, check on the Beans. They should be tender but if they are not, cook for an additional hour until they are tender.
- Season the beans with Kosher Salt to taste. I used just over 1/2 a teaspoon.