This dish was created for the subreddit, /r/52weeksofcooking, where the theme was “tex-mex”. Well I was trying to do something that I have not made before and I really like quinoa. While this is definitely not an enchilada but more of a quinoa casserole, I still really liked it so I do not care.
You could substitute the enchilada sauce for store bought, just use about 1 1/2 cups.
Cilantro would go really well with this but I did not think about it at the time.
A** Blood is a hot chili powder that I make with ghost chilis.
- Course: Entree
- Cuisine: Tex-mex
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- Cooking Time: 55 minutes
Enchilada Sauce Ingredients
- Start by making the Enchilada Sauce; in a small pot, combine the Canola Oil, Flour, and Chili Powder. Cook over medium heat until it starts to bubble (about 1 – 3 minutes).
- Whisk constantly and cook the paste for 1 – 2 more minutes.
- Slowly pour 1 Cup of Cold Water while whisking. Add the Tomato Paste, Cumin, Garlic Powder, Cayenne Powder, A** Blood, Cocoa Powder, and Kosher Salt. Whisk until smooth and continue to heat.
- Let the sauce come up to a simmer and let it thicken (about 3 – 5 minutes). Set aside for later.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium pot, combine the Quinoa and Chicken Broth. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer until the liquid is absorbed (about 15 – 20 minutes). Fluff with fork and remove from heat, covered.
- Meanwhile, dice the Onion and mince the Jalapeno Peppers, Serrano Peppers, and Garlic.
- In a large skillet, heat the Olive Oil over medium heat.
- When the Oil is hot, add the diced Onion, minced Jalapeno Peppers, minced Serrano Peppers, and Garlic. Cook until fragrant (about 3 – 5 minutes).
- Add the Cumin and Chili Powder and stir until combined.
- Add the Cooked Chicken, Frozen Corn, and about 1 Cup Enchilada Sauce (reserving the rest) and stir until combined.
- By this time, the Quinoa should be done; add the Quinoa and stir until combined.
- Shred the Cheddar Cheese to the top of everything.
- Bake until the Cheddar Cheese is melted (about 15 minutes).
- Meanwhile, chop the Roma Tomatoes and dice the Avocado.
- When everything is done baking top with the chopped Tomatoes, diced Avocado, and drizzle the rest of the Enchilada Sauce.