This dish was the completed part of a dish created for the subreddit, /r/52weeksofcooking, where the theme was “Bottled Sauces from Scratch” and my second theme was “Comfort Food”. While the homemade BBQ sauce satisfied the first theme, this completed dish definitely was comfort food. There are not many foods that I consider more comfort food as Chili especially on a cool night.
While the ingredients really do not indicate this to be really spicy, the BBQ sauce had a decent kick. If you decide to use store bought or a not as spicy BBQ sauce, you could add more peppers or hot chili powder.
Also, you can use almost any meat that you like but I chose these 4 because they went really well together.
- Combine the Tomato Sauce, Diced Tomatoes, and Italian Seasoning in a large dutch oven and heat over medium heat.
- Chop the onion, seed and dice the Jalapeno, Habanero, and Anaheim Peppers and add to the dutch oven.
- Dice the Bacon and in a large skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat until slightly crisp or to your level of crispiness. Drain the grease and add the cooked Bacon to the dutch oven.
- In the same skillet, cook the Italian Sausage until brown. Drain and add the Italian Sausage to the dutch oven.
- In the same skillet, cook the Ground Beef until brown. Drain and add the Ground Beef to the dutch oven.
- In the same skillet, cook the Ground Bison until brown. Drain and add the Ground Bison to the dutch oven.
- Stir in the BBQ Sauce and the Chili Powder into the pot.
- Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.
- Stir in the Kidney Beans and Chocolate and simmer until the flavours are nice and blended, about 4 hours.
- Serve with your favourite Chili compliments.