The melding of flavours in this sandwich were out of this world. So much so that I could not wait to take the picture and ate a quarter of the sandwich.
As with any grilled cheese sandwich, this is incredibly versatile. You can use almost whatever bread, cheese, or additions that you like. Usually I like a thicker bread but I only had this 21 Grain Bread. Also, tomato goes really well with this but I just did not have any. The kosher salt is optional if you use salted butter.
- Heat a small skillet over high heat. Chop the Kimchi into smaller pieces.
- When the skillet is hot, add the chopped Kimchi. Cook until the Kimchi is brown in spots (about 3 – 5 minutes). Set aside.
- In a large skillet, melt a 1/2 Tablespoon of Butter and a pinch of Kosher Salt over medium-low heat.
- Slice or grate the cheeses, keeping separate, and set aside.
- While the skillet is warming up, prepare the sandwich. On the first slice of Bread, spread 1/2 teaspoon of Dijon Mustard, followed by the Cheddar Cheese, the Garlic Powder, the Smoked Paprika, the sauteed Kimchi, and the Monterey Jack Cheese.
- Add a 1/2 teaspoon of Dijon Mustard on the second slice of Bread and place on top of the sandwich.
- Carefully, add the sandwich to the hot skillet and cook until golden brown (about 4 – 5 minutes), moving the sandwich around the skillet occasionally.
- Remove the sandwich, melt the other 1/2 Tablespoon of Butter and add another pinch of Kosher Salt.
- Carefully, return the sandwich to the hot skillet and cook until golden brown (about 4 – 5 minutes), moving the sandwich around the skillet occasionally.