These are very versatile and you can add anything you want to them. Experiment with different combinations! This is just a list of what I normally have on hand to make them.
1/4 Cup Butter, unsalted and room temperature
1 1/2 Cups Old-Fashioned Rolled Oats
1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
1/4 teaspoon Kosher Salt
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
1/3 Cup Brown Sugar
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 Cup Whole Milk
1 Pinch White Sugar
1/3 Cup Walnuts, chopped
1/3 Cup Coconut, shredded and unsweetened
1/3 Cup Dried Cran-Strawberries
1/6 Cup Butterscotch Chips
1/6 Cup Chocolate Chips
- Take the butter out and let sit out for about a hour to soften.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the Rolled Oats, Flour, Baking Powder, Salt, and Cinnamon until combined. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl of a stand mixer, on medium speed, beat the softened Butter and Brown Sugar until light and creamy (about 1 – 2 minutes).
- Add the Egg and Vanilla. Continue to beat until light and creamy again (about 30 seconds).
- Add the half of the Oat mixture and beat on low until just combined. (about 30 seconds).
- Add the Milk and White Sugar. Beat until smooth (about 30 seconds).
- Add the rest of the Oat mixture and beat until just combined (about 30 seconds).
- Remove the bowl from the mixture and fold in the Walnuts, Coconut, Dried Fruit, Butterscotch Chips, and Chocolate Chips.
- Pour the mixture into a greased dish. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Allow the bars to cool (about 15 – 30 minutes). Cut into 12 pieces.