I used Chicken Thighs for this but any chicken would work.
1.25 lbs Chicken Pieces
4 Slices Whole Wheat Bread
95 ml Whole Milk
1.25 lbs Ground Beef
1/2 Large Onion
8 Tablespoons Butter , unsalted
2 1/2 Tablespoons Fresh Dill , chopped
1/2 Tablespoon Kosher Salt
1/2 teaspoon Freshly Ground Pepper
1 Cup Bread Crumbs
4 Tablespoons Olive Oil
Mushrooms in Sour Cream Sauce
1 lb Cremini Mushrooms
4 Tablespoons Olive Oil
3 Tablespoons Sour Cream
1 Bunch Green Onions
to taste Kosher Salt
to taste Freshly Ground Pepper
- Chop up the Chicken into 1 inch pieces, place on a baking sheet, and place in the freezer for 20 minutes.
- Remove the Chicken and grind either with a food grinder or food processor.
- Meanwhile, remove the crust from the Bread and place in a shallow dish. Top with the Milk and let soak for about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop the Onion, melt 4 Tablespoons of Butter, separate the whites from the yolks of 3 Eggs, and chop the Dill.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the Ground Chicken, Ground Beef, chopped Onion, melted Butter, 3 Egg Yolks, Dill, Kosher Salt, and Pepper.
- Add the Milk Soaked Bread as well as any Milk from the dish.
- Mix until well combined. (About 1 – 2 minutes in a stand mixer on low with the paddle attachment)
- In a separate bowl, beat the 3 Egg Whites on high speed until stiff peaks form (about 1 minute).
- Using a spatula, fold in the Egg Whites until well combined.
- In a small bowl, beat 2 Eggs with a fork and add the Bread Crumbs to a second bowl.
- With wet hands, form patties, dip each patty into the beaten Eggs, let excess Egg run off, and dip both sides into the Bread Crumbs. Set aside until all beat has been used.
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium-low heat with 2 Tablespoons Butter and 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil. When the butter sizzles (about 2 – 3 minutes), add patties, making sure not the crowd the pan.
- Saute for about 5 minutes per side, flipping a few times while cooking.
- Cook the rest of the patties, adding additional Butter and Olive Oil as necessary.
- Meanwhile, wash and dry the mushrooms and then cut into thick slices. Set aside.
- Chop the Onions. Set aside.
- In a medium pan, heat 2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil over medium-high heat, add the onions, and saute until golden (about 5 minutes).
- In a separate larger pan, heat 2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil over medium-high heat, add the sliced Mushrooms, and cook until soft (about 5 – 7 minutes).
- Meanwhile, chop the Green Onions.
- Drain the excess water from the Mushrooms.
- Combine the Onions to the Mushrooms. Add the Sour Cream, taste, and add Kosher Salt and Pepper to taste.
- Serve by topping the Kotleti with the Mushrooms and top with the chopped Green Onions.