A word of warning, anchovies are a bit salty so use less salt than you normally would
1/2 inch Piece of Ginger
2 Cups Coconut Milk
1/4 teaspoon Ginger , ground
to taste Kosher Salt
1 Bay Leaf
2 Cups Jasmine Rice
1 Cup Canola Oil & 2 Tablespoons
4 2 oz Anchovies Cans
1 White Onion
3 Cloves Garlic
1 Cup Peanuts
2 teaspoons Chile Paste
1 Large Lemon
3 Tablespoons White Sugar
- Peel and slice the Ginger.
- In a medium pot, stir together the Coconut Milk, 2 Cups Water, Ground Ginger, sliced Ginger, Kosher Salt, Bay Leaf, and Jasmine rice. Cover and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer until the liquid is absorbed (20 – 30 minutes).
- Remove from heat, fluff with fork, cover, and set aside.
- In another pot, cover the Eggs with cold, salted Water. Bring the water to boil over high heat. Cover and remove from heat for 12 minutes.
- Remove the eggs from the hot water and cool the eggs under cold Water to stop from cooking. Peel the Eggs and slice in half. Set aside
- Peel and slice the Cucumber. Set aside.
- Remove the Anchovies from 2 of the cans and wash under cold water. Set aside.
- Peel and slice the White Onion, Garlic, and Shallots. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 cup of Canola Oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Stir in the Peanuts and cook until lightly browned (about 3 – 5 minutes).
- Remove the Peanuts with a slotted spoon and place on paper towels. Return the skillet to the burner.
- Stir in the washed Anchovies and cook until crisp, turning occasionally (about 2 – 3 minutes).
- Remove the Anchovies with a slotted spoon and place on paper towels. Discard oil and wipe out skillet.
- Heat 2 tablespoons Canola Oil in the skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in the sliced Onion, Garlic, and Shallots. Cook until fragrant (about 2 – 3 minutes).
- Stir in the Chile Paste and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, wash the rest of the Anchovies with cold water.
- Stir in the remaining washed Anchovies. Cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, juice the Lemon. You should have about 1/4 Cup of Lemon Juice.
- Stir in the Lemon Juice, Kosher Salt, and Sugar. Simmer until the sauce is thick (about 5 minutes).
- Serve the Onion and Garlic sauce over the Coconut Rice and top with the fried Anchovies and Peanuts. Serve the sliced Cucumber and Boiled Eggs on the side