I use a home made chicken broth which is not very salty so you might need to add less salt if using store bought.
1/3 Cup Pepitas
1 28 oz Diced Tomatoes Cans
1 Small White Onion
6 Cloves Garlic
3 2/3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
to taste Kosher Salt
to taste Freshly Ground Pepper
3/4 Cup Hot Coffee
1/4 Cup Raisins
4 teaspoons Chile Powder
2 teaspoons Cocoa Powder , unsweetened
1/2 teaspoon Allspice
2 Canned Chipotle Peppers in Adobo
1 teaspoon Adobo Sauce
4 teaspoons Brown Sugar , firmly packeds
1 Cup Chicken Broth
2 – 2 1/2 lbs Chicken Thighs
3 Tablespoons Cilantro , chopped
to taste Sour Cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spread the Pepitas on a baking sheet and bake until brown (about 3 – 5 minutes). Set aside.
- Adjust oven rack to within 5 inches of broiler element and heat broiler.
- Drain and squeeze dry the Tomatoes, dice the Onion, and peel and mince the Garlic.
- Combine the Tomatoes, diced Onion, minced Garlic, 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil, kosher salt, and Freshly Ground Black Pepper on a rimmed baking sheet. Toss to coat everything.
- Broil until browned and blackened in spots and Tomatoes are withered, stirring occasionally (about 8 – 12 minutes).
- Meanwhile, in a blender, combine the Coffee, Rasins, Chile Powder, Cocoa Powder, and Allspice. Allow to rest for a minimum of 5 minutes.
- Add the Tomato mixture to the blender along with the Chipotle Chiles, Adobo Sauce, Brown Sugar, Pepitas, Chicken Broth, and 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil.
- Blend until smooth. Taste and adjust Kosher Salt and Pepper to taste.
- Skin and de-bone the Chicken Thighs and cut into small strips.
- Season the Chicken Thighs with Kosher Salt and Pepper. Set aside.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of Olive Oil in a large skillet over high heat until smoking.
- Add the Chicken Thighs to the skillet in a single layer and cook until browned, without stirring (about 4 – 5 minutes). Stir and cook until the Chicken is cooked through, opaque, and browned in spots (about 3 – 4 minutes longer).
- Reduce the heat to medium-low. Stir in the Mole Sauce and simmer until the sauce has thickened (about 10 minutes).
- Meanwhile, chop the Cilantro and cut the Lime into Wedges.
- Serve topped with Cilantro and with Tortillas, Sour Cream, and Lime wedges.