While this was pretty good, it needed a little something extra. I ended up adding some table salt and hot sauce which made it a lot better.
You could use pretty much use any chicken parts that you like since it gets shredded anyway. I ended up using a chicken breast and skinless, bone-in thighs because it is what I had in my kitchen.
I very rarely cook with honey so I used Agave Nectar but you could easily substitute it with honey.
- Mince the Garlic.
- In your slow cooker, combine the Chicken, Sake, Mirin, Soy Sauce, Agave Nectar, and minced Garlic.
- Peel the Ginger and grate directly into the slow cooker.
- Add Black Pepper to taste.
- Turn the slow cooker on high for 4 1/2 hours.
- When the Chicken is done cooking, remove the Chicken, shred with 2 forks, and set aside.
- Pour the cooking liquid into a small pot and heat to a rolling boil over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, combine 1/8 cup Warm Water and Corn Starch in a small bowl.
- Stir in the Corn Starch mixture to the reserved liquid.
- Turn the heat to medium-low and cook until thickened, whisking occasionally (about 3 minutes).
- Add the Chicken and sauce back to the slow cooker, stir well, and turn on warm while you make the Rice.
- Add the Jasmine Rice, 2 cups of water, and salt to taste to a small pot.
- Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover and continue to simmer over low heat until the water is absorbed (15 – 20 minutes).
- Flush the Rice with a fork, cover, remove from heat, and set aside for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, chop the Green Onions.
- Serve Chicken over Rice and topped with Green Onions, Sesame Seeds, and more salt and hot sauce if desired.