1 Whole Chicken (4 – 6 lbs)
3 Tablespoons Kosher Salt
2 Bay Leaves
3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 White Onion
2/3 Cup Arborio Rice
2 Large Lemons
1 teaspoon Fresh Ground Pepper
- In a large stockpot, combine the Chicken, 12 cups of cold water, and 2 Tablespoons of Kosher Salt. Bring to boil over medium-high heat and reduce heat to medium-low to low (depending on your stove) to get it to a low simmer. Skim the foam from the surface.
- Clean and quarter the Leek. Peel and quarter the Carrot.
- Add the Leek, Carrot, and Bay leaves.
- Continue to simmer until the chicken is cooked thoroughly (about 1 hour).
- Meanwhile, dice the White Onion.
- Heat the Olive Oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the diced Onion and cook until translucent, stirring frequently (about 4 – 6 minutes). Remove from heat and set aside.
- Remove the Chicken from the broth and allow the meat to cool. Took me about 15 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Once the Chicken is removed from the broth, strain the broth, and discard the Leek, Carrots, and Bay Leaves. Place the strained broth in the refrigerator for 15 – 20 minutes to make it easier to skim the fat.
- Once the Chicken is cool enough to handle, remove the meat from the bones, discarding the skin, and dice the meat. Place the diced meat in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Once the broth is strained and skimmed of the fat, return it to the burner on high heat. Add the Arborio Rice and cooked Onion. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium to medium-low and simmer until the Rice is almost cooked (about 20 minutes).
- Add the diced Chicken meat and reduce the broth to medium-low to low to a low simmer.
- In a medium bowl, juice the lemons so that you have about a 1/2 cup of Lemon Juice.
- Beat the Lemon Juice, Eggs, and Pepper.
- While whisking, very slowly, add 2 Cups of the Broth to the Lemon Egg mixture.
- Pour the Lemon Egg mixture into the pot along with 1 Tablespoon of Kosher Salt. Stir well. Serve immediately.