1 Cup Sugar 2 Tablespoons
3 Large Egg Whites
1/4 teaspoon Cream of Tartar
1/8 teaspoon Kosher Salt
1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract
2 Ounces Bittersweet Chocolate
1 Cup Hot Brewed Coffee
2 Cups Sugar
1 2/3 Cups Flour
1 Cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
1 1/2 teaspoons Baking Soda
1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
1 teaspoon Table Salt
2 Large Eggs
1/2 Cup Canola Oil
1 Cup Buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
14 Ounces Semisweet Chocolate Chips
1 Cup Heavy Cream
- Prepare the frosting; in a large bowl whisk together 1/3 Cup Water, Sugar, Egg Whites, Cream of Tartar, and Kosher Salt.
- Heat a small pot to a slight simmer.
- Set the large bowl over the small pot with the simmering water.
- Starting at a low speed, start mixing with a handheld mixer and gradually increase the speed to high. Beat for about 5 minutes.
- Transfer bowl from above the pot to a kitchen towel and continue beating until billowy (about 2 minutes).
- Beat in Vanilla. Cover and place in refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Grease 2 10-inch cake pans, cover with parchment paper, and grease parchment paper. Set aside.
- Finely chop the Bittersweet Chocolate and transfer to a small bowl.
- Pour Hot Coffee over Chocolate and let the mixture stand, stirring occasionally, until chocolate is melted (about 2 – 3 minutes).
- In a large bowl, sift together the Sugar, Flour, Cocoa Powder, Baking Soda, Baking Powder, and Table Salt.
- In another large bowl, with a handheld mixture, beat eggs until thickened and lemon coloured. Slowly add Canola Oil, well shaken Buttermilk, Vanilla, and Coffee and Chocolate mixture to beaten eggs. Beat until well combined.
- Add Sugar mixture and beat on medium speed until just combined.
- Divide the batter among the cake pans and bake in the middle of the oven until done (about 45 minutes – 1 hour).
- Cool cakes in pans on racks (about 30 minutes).
- Remove cakes from pans and cool on racks (about 30 minutes).
- While the cakes are cooling, prepare the Ganache; place the Semisweet Chocolate Chips in a bowl.
- In a small pot, bring the Heavy Cream to a boil. Once the Cream reaches a boil, take it off the heat, and pour it over the Chocolate Chips.
- Let stand for 5 minutes and then stir until smooth.
- Assemble the ding dongs; cut small circles out of cakes, scoop out a small portion of the cake, fill with the frosting, top with the cut out piece, and cover with Ganache or pour over.
- Place the Ding Dongs in the refrigerator for the Ganache to set.