I used Merlot but a Cabernet Sauvignon would work as well. Also, try not to use an overly expensive bottle of wine since you are flavouring it.
3/4 Cup Orange Juice
3/4 Cup White Sugar
1 Cinnamon Stick
3 Star Anise
10 Whole Cloves
750 Millilitres Bottle Red Wine
1/2 Cup Brandy
- In a pot, combine the Orange Juice, Sugar, Cinnamon Stick, and Star Anise. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer.
- Squeeze the juice of half the Orange into the pot.
- Push the Cloves into the outside of the Orange Peel, and place the Orange in the simmering liquid. Continue simmering for 30 minutes.
- Pour in the Red Wine and Brandy, and heat until steaming but not simmering.
- Remove the Orange half with tongs and give it a good squeeze, strain out the spices, and serve hot in mugs or warmed glasses with the Orange Peel from the other half of the Orange