I used ground Kangaroo which Inn N’ Out definitely does not because I had it on hand but ground beef would still be delicious!
2 1/2 Tablespoons Canold Oil
1 Large White Onion
1 Large Yellow Onion
3/4 teaspoon Kosher Salt
1/4 Cup Mayonnaise
2 Tablespoons Ketchup
1 Tablespoons Sweet Pickle Relish
1/2 teaspoon White Vinegar
1 lb Ground Meat
3 Hamburger Buns
1/4 Cup Sliced Dill Pickles
3/4 Cup Shredded Lettuce
2 Roma Tomatoes
to taste Ground Pepper ,
1/4 Cup Yellow Mustard
6 Slices American Cheese
- Heat the 2 Tablespoons of Oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat.
- Chop the Onions and add to the skillet along with the Salt. Cover and cook until golden and soft, stirring occasionally (about 30 minutes).
- Uncover. Increase the heat to medium-high and continue to cook, stirring often, until caramelised (about 8 minutes).
- Add 1/2 cup of water to skillet, scraping up any brown pieces from the bottom of the pan.
- Simmer, stirring, until the water evaporates (about 1 – 2 minutes).
- Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Mix the Mayo, Ketchup, Relish, and Vinegar in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Shape the beef into 6 patties. Set aside.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and lightly brush with Oil.
- Toast the buns split-side down. Keep skillet hot
- Spread 1 Tablespoon of mayo mixture on each bottom bun, followed by some pickles, some lettuce, some slices of tomato, and finally, another dollop of the mayo mixture. Set aside.
- Season both sides of each patty with salt and pepper.
- Put the patties on the skillet and cook for 2 minutes. Spread about 1 1/2 teaspoons of mustard on the uncooked side of each patty. Flip. Top with 1 slice of cheese and cook an additional minute.
- Place 1 patty on each bun, add onions, add another patty (cheese side up), and finish with the top of the bun.