This would go really good with some warm naan but I did not think about it until later
My market did not have caster sugar but you can make a substitute by grinding regular sugar in a coffee grinder.
- Add the rice to a large bowl and fill with water. Squish the water around and drain. Repeat this process until the water runs clear (about 3 or 4 times).
- Add hot water and Kosher Salt to rice and soak for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop the Shallots, Onions, and Garlic and grate the ginger.
- Heat the Canola Oil in a large pot over high heat.
- Add the Shallots, Onions, Garlic, and Ginger. Cook until golden-brown, stirring frequently to prevent burning (about 5 minutes).
- While the onions are cooking, chop the chicken.
- Remove a couple of tablespoons of the onion mix for garnish.
- Add the chicken and cook until cooked through, stirring occasionally (about 4 minutes).
- Add the Chili Powder, Cumin, Coriander, Cinnamon, Turmeric, and Nutmeg. Cook for an additional minute.
- Stir in the Yogurt and simmer for about 2 minutes.
- Add the Caster Sugar, Raisins, and cooked Rice. Cover the pot with a clean towel and cover with a lid.
- Reduce the heat to the lowest setting and cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and rest for 5 minutes.
- Serve with the Onion mixture garnish.