2 Chipotle Chilies in Adobo Sauce
3 Cloves Garlic
2 1/2 teaspoons Chili Powder
1 1/2 teaspoons Cumin Groun
2 Cups Chicken Broth
1 28 oz Tomato Sauce Cans
1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
1/4 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper (about 5 cranks)
1 Tablespoon Canola Oil
4 Cups Cooked Chicken
1 White Onion
1 Clove Garlic
1 teaspoon Dried Oregano
18 Corn Tortillas
1 lb Queso Fresco
Non Stick Spray
- Dice the Chilies and mince the Garlic.
- Add the diced Chilies, minced Garlic, Chili Powder, Chicken Broth, Tomato Sauce, Salt, and Pepper to a medium pot. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 15 minutes. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat the Oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the Chicken and heat through (about 2 – 4 minutes), stirring occasionally.
- While the Chicken is heating up, dice the Onion.
- Remove the Chicken from the skillet and set aside.
- Add the diced Onion to the same skillet. Decrease the heat to medium-low and sweat for about 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, dice the Garlic.
- Add the diced Garlic and Oregano until the onions are tender, about 2 additional minutes. Add the chicken back to the mix and remove from heat.
- Spray a baking dish with the Non Stick Spray. Place a ladle full of sauce into the bottom of the dish (about 1/2 a cup).
- Dip 6 Tortillas in the sauce and layer them on the bottom of the dish. Top this with half of the Chicken mixture and 1/3 of the Cheese. Repeat this process and end with 6 Tortillas on the top of the dish.
- Pour the rest of the sauce over the dish and top with the remaining 1/3 of the Cheese.
- Cover with Foil and bake on the middle rack for 30 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake until the top is bubbly, about 10 additional minutes.
- Let rest a couple of minutes.