1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons Active Dry Yeast
1 1/2 Ounces butter , melted
1 1/4 teaspoons Kosher Salt
2 1/4 Cups All-Purpose Flour
Vegetable Oil or Cooking spray
1/2 Cup Baking Soda
1 teaspoon Butter
1 teaspoon All-Purpose Flour
1/4 Cup Milk
4 Ounces Colby Jack Cheese , grated
to taste Salt ,
to taste Freshly Ground Pepper ,
- Combine 1 1/2 cups warm water, Brown Sugar, Active Dry Yeast, and Butter in a medium sized bowl. Let sit for 5 – 10 minutes until the mixture looks frothy.
- Add the Kosher Salt and Flour and mix with a spatula until well combined. Continue mixing and kneading until the dough in smooth and begins to pull away from the sides of the bowl (about 2 – 3 minutes).
- Remove the dough from the bowl and shape into a ball in your hands.
- Oil a bowl with Vegetable Oil or Cooking Spray. Add the dough to the bowl and turn to make sure all of the dough is coated with oil. Cover and place the bowl in a warm spot until the dough doubles in size (about 1 hour).
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- While the water is starting to boil, remove the dough from the bowl and place on a flat surface. Divide the dough up into 4 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a long rope until desired pretzel thickness. Cut the dough rope into 1 inch pieces. Set the pieces aside.
- Once the water boils, add the baking soda slowly to avoid a boil over.
- Working in batches, add the dough pieces to the boiling water and boil for 30 seconds. Remove the dough pieces with a slotted spoon and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, making sure the dough pieces do not touch.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg with 1 Tablespoon of cold water.
- Brush the tops of the dough pieces with the egg wash and season liberally with Kosher Salt.
- Bake until golden brown (about 15 minutes).
- While the pretzel bites are baking, prepare the cheese sauce. Melt the butter in a pot over medium heat.
- Add the Flour and cook for an additional minute.
- Whisk in the milk and cook until just before it boils.
- Turn the heat down to the lowest setting and stir in the cheese until smooth and all of the cheese is melted. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Remove the pretzel bites from the oven and place the baking sheets on a cooling rack for 5 minutes.
Note: Almost any kind of cheese will work for this, I just happened to have colby jack on hand.