1 White Onion , diced
2 Large Carrots , peeled and chopped
3 Ribs Celery , chopped
4 Cloves Garlic minced ,
to taste Olive Oil ,
to taste Kosher salt ,
1 lb Ground Kangaroo
1 lb Hot Italian Sausage
1 lb Ground Beef
2 Cups Tomato Paste
3 Cups Red Wine
3 Bay Leaves
1 Bunch Thyme
1/4 cup Basil , chopped
1 lb Pasta
1/2 Cup Parmesan Cheese
- Dice the onion, chop the carrots and celery, and mince the garlic.
- In a blender or food processor, puree the onion, carrots, celery, and garlic until it turns into a coarse paste.
- In a large pot, heat some olive oil over medium heat. Add the vegetable paste and add a generous amount of salt.
- Turn the heat up to medium-high and cook until all the water is evaporated and the vegetables are starting to brown, stir frequently (about 15 – 20 minutes).
- Add the kangaroo, italian sausage, and beef. Again, add a generous amount of salt and brown the meat (about 15 – 20 minutes).
- Add the tomato paste and brown in the pot (about 5 minutes).
- Add the red win and cook until reduced by half (about 5 minutes).
- Tie the thyme in a bundle.
- Add water to the pot until it is about 1 inch above the browned meat. Add the bay leaves, thyme bundle, and basil. Stir to combine.
- Turn the heat to high and bring to a boil. Once the water is boiling, reduce the heat and simmer for 3 1/2 – 4 hours.
- During this time, the water will evaporate and when it starts to dry out, add 2 or 3 cups of water. Do not worry about adding too much water as you can always reduce the water out. Stir and taste frequently during the cooking time and add salt as necessary.
- During the last 30 minutes of cooking, bring another large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add the pasta of your choice and cook for a couple minutes less than on the package. Reserve 1/2 cup of the starchy pasta water when finished.
- While the pasta is cooking, remove half of the sauce from the pot and reserve.
- Drain the pasta and add to the pot with the remaining sauce. Stir to coat the pasta with sauce. Add more sauce if necessary.
- Add the reserved starchy cooking water and cook until evaporated.
- Stir in the parmesan cheese and some olive oil.
- Serve with spoonful of the reserved sauce, parmesan cheese, and a sprinkle of olive oil on the top.