4 lb Beef Bones
1/2 White Onion
1 Tablespoon Canola oil
4 Inchs Ginger
2 Cinnamon Sticks
2 teaspoons Ground Coriander
1 teaspoon Ground Fennel
3 Whole Star Anise
3 Whole Cloves
2 Pods Cardamom
2 1/2 Tablespoons Fish Sauce
1 teaspoon Sugar
16 oz Dried Rice Noodles
1 1/2 lb Flank Steak
2 wedges Limes , cut in
3 Chili Peppers , sliced
1 1/2 Cups Bean Sprouts
- Bring a large stockpot with water to boil and add the beef bones. Boil for at least 10 minutes but no more than 25 to clean the beef bones.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place beef bones in preheated oven until browned (about 30 minutes).
- Meanwhile, slice the ginger and heat a frying pan on medium low heat.
- Add the spices and toast until fragrant (about 3 – 5 minutes). Add spices to a slow cooker.
- Return frying pan to burner and heat oil over medium high heat. When the oil is hot, add the ginger slices and 1/2 onion (whole). Cook until the ginger is browned on both sides and the onion is blackened (about 5 – 7 minutes). Add to the slow cooker.
- When the bones are browned add them to the slow cooker and top everything with water; I used about 10 cups.
- Cook everything for a minimum of 8 hours on low (I did 20 hours).
- 1 hour before the slow cooker is done, start soaking the rice noodles in water.
- Meanwhile, bring a pot of water to a boil. Add the rice noodles and cook for 1 minute.
- Slice the beef into very thin slices and add to each bowl raw with rice noodles.
- Strain the broth through a fine meshed sieve into a large pot and bring to a boil.
- Fill each bowl with broth and server with limes, cilantro, thai basil, mint, chili peppers, and beansprouts.