I looked outside and the weather screamed chili.... or stew. I am really glad I made this decision because while I was sitting at home pretending to work, this made my house smell amazing and tasted just as good. This could benefit with some heat, I used a little too much Ass Blood (http://www.cucum
- Dice onion, slice carrots and celery, wash and cut potatoes into small (1 inch) cubes, and place in a slow cooker.
- Place beef in a large bowl and season liberally with salt and pepper.
- Add flour to the meat and toss to coat.
- Heat olive oil in a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Mince the garlic while the oil is heating up.
- Saute the garlic until soft and fragrant (about 1 minute).
- Add the floured beef to the garlic and let cook to brown on one side (3 mins).
- Stir the beef and brown on the other side (2 mins).
- Add the beef, garlic mixture to the slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Return the skillet to the burner and turn the heat to low.
- Add the broth, mustard, worcestershire, soy sauce, brown sugar, rosemary, and thyme.
- Stir to combine and dissolve the browned bits on bottom of the skillet.
- Add broth mixture to slow cooker.
- Stir and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
- Remove lid and sir, adding salt if needed.