1 lb Sweet Potato
1/2 Cup Frozen Corn Kernels
2 Cups Black Beans (about 1 can)
1/4 Bunch Cilantro , plus extra
1/2 Cup Cornmeal
1/4 teaspoon Garlic Powder
1/2 teaspoon Cumin
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/4 teaspoon A** Blood
1 Whole Chipotle Pepper in Adobo Sauce
1 Head Lettuce
1 Medium Avocado
Cheese (I used Swiss)
Burger Condiment (I used hot sauce)
- Wash potato and poke it several times with a fork.
- Loosely wrap the potato in a paper towel and microwave for 5 minutes. Check to see if the potato is cooked all the way through. If it is not, cook in 1 minute increments (I did a total of 8 minutes). Optionally, you could bake the potato in a 400 degree oven for 45 – 60 minutes.
- While the potato is cooling, rinse and drain the black beans.
- Roughly chop the cilantro.
- Mince the chipotle pepper.
- In a large bowl, combine the corn, black beans, cilantro, half the cornmeal (1/4 cup), garlic powder, cumin, salt, A** Blood, chipotle pepper, and 1 teaspoon of the adobo sauce.
- When the potato is cool enough to handle, spoon in the flesh into the bowl, and mix well.
- Using a potato masher, mash the mixture to mash the beans.
- Cover and chill for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, heat a cast iron skillet on high heat and preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Form the potato mixture into 4 patties about 3/4 inch thick and coat each side with the remaining cornmeal.
- Sear each patty in the cast iron skillet for 30 – 45 seconds on each side.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and cover with non-stick spray and place each patty on the baking sheet and top with non-stick spray.
- Cook the patties for 13 minutes, flip, cook another 7 minutes, top with cheese, and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Top with avocado, cilantro (optional), condiment, and wrap in a lettuce.