1/4 teaspoon Saffron Threads
1/4 Cup Dry White Wine
1 lb Medium Shrimp
2 Tablespoons Butter
1 Onion , chopped
1 1/2 Cups Arborio Rice
2 Roma Tomatoes , diced
to taste Salt & Pepper
- Peel shrimp and reserve the shells.
- Warm the saffron and wine over medium heat for 1 minute. Set aside.
- In a medium sauce pan, combine the shrimp shells and 6 1/2 cups of water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium high. Boil for 5 minutes.
- Strain the shrimp stock into another medium saucepan or a bowl and back into the pan.
- Keep shrimp stock warm over medium low heat.
- In a large saucepan, heat 1 1/2 tablespoons of butter over high heat. Cook shrimp in butter until no longer opaque (about 3 minutes). Set aside.
- Heat the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of butter in the large saucepan on medium high heat and add the onion.
- Cook until the onion is translucent (about 2 minutes).
- Stir in the rice.
- Add the saffron, wine liquid and boil until almost all evaporated (about 1 minute).
- Add 1 cup of the shrimp stock and cook until the liquid is absorbed (1 – 2 minutes). Repeat this process until all of the shrimp stock is used.
- Stir in the shrimp and cook until heated through (30 seconds – 1 minute).
- Fold in the tomatoes and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve hot