I prepared this dish for the subreddit, /r/52weeksofcooking, where the theme was rustic. I have to admit, I have no idea what rustic cooking means but this had the same name and was beyond delicious. Given the ingredients, it is not surprising...
- Crumble the sausage and add it to a dutch oven with the onion. Cook and stir over medium heat until the sausage is browned (about 7 mins).
- Add the garlic and cook an additional 1 minute.
- Stir in the broth, water, and tomatoes. Cover and bring to a boil (about 5 minutes).
- Add the tortellini. Cook for 7-9 minutes or until tender.
- Reduce the heat to low, add the spinach, basil, pepper (I used about 5 cranks), and red pepper flakes (I used about 1/2 teaspoon). Cook an additional 2 – 3 minutes or until the spinach is wilted.
- Top with cheese and serve.
This would be great with some flaky bread to go with to soak up the soup.