This was prepared for the the subreddit, /r/52weeksofcooking, where the theme was stew. I have never eaten or made peanut stew but this was delicious. Plus one of my favourite pumpkin ales!
- Peel and grate the ginger. Mince the garlic. Place both the ginger and garlic in a pot. Saute in the canola oil over medium heat until the garlic softens (about 2 minutes).
- Dice the onion and add it to the pot.
- Dice the sweet potato into 1/2 inch cubes.
- Add the onion and sweet potato to the pot and continute top saute until the onion softens and the potato takes on a darker colour (about 2 – 3 minutes).
- Add the cumin and red pepper flakes to the pot.
- Add the tomato paste and peanut butter (I used chunky) to the pot and stir until evenly mixed.
- Add the chicken broth, diced tomatoes, and chicken to the pot. Stir to dissolve the tomato paste and peanut butter.
- Place a lid on the pot and turn the heat up to high.
- While the soup is coming to a boil, prepare the greens. Rinse the greens, remove the stem, and cut into strips.
- Once the soup comes to a boil, add the greens to the pot and turn the heat to low and allow it to simmer without a lid for 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are very soft.
- After the potatoes are softened, smash about half the potatoes to thicken the soup.
- Adjust salt to taste if needed. Serve hot and garnish with cilantro.