Halloween is here so I decided to make some delicious braaains. The first thing I thought of when doing this recipe was the Hannibal Lector series where he feeds the guy his own brains. And then of course zombies. Mmmmm delicious brains.
- Melt the butter in a pot over low heat.
- Add the mini marshmallows and stir until melted and well combined.
- Cook for 2 minutes longer. Keep stirring to prevent scorching. Remove from heat.
- Add vanilla extract and red food colouring and mix well.
- Gradually stir in the red velvet cake mix. If the mixture ends up too thick, add a bit more melted butter.
- Start with 3 cups of Rice Krispies and stir until combined. Add only as much as needed.
- Spray hands with cooking spray and remove the mixture from the pot on top a sheet of parchment or wax paper.
- Shape into desired shape.
- Now either cover with grenadine and corn syrup or make your own:
- Combine sugar and water in a pot and bring to a slight boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, simmer, and add the grenadine.
- Keep simmering over low heat until the mixture gets thick and syrupy (about 4 minutes).
- Top the rice krispy treat with the grenadine syrup.
The amount of grenadine was a guess since I just added enough to make it blood coloured.