This was prepared for the subreddit, /r/52weeksofcooking, where the theme was Philippines. I could not think of anything from the Philippines but this came out really good and flavourful.
- Season both sides of the steaks with salt and pepper.
- Start making the rice; Rinse the rice. Add rice, water, and 1 teaspoon of rice to a pot.
- Set burner on high and bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer 10 – 12 minutes until all liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat. Fluff with fork. Cover and let sit for 5 – 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a skillet over medium heat. Fry the salmon in the hot oil until lightly cooked (about 2 minutes per side).
- Remove the salmon and set aside.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of oil to the skillet and allow it to get hot.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook until soft and fragrant (about 5 minutes).
- Stir the tomatoes into the mixture and season with salt and pepper.
- Continue cooking until the moisture from the tomatoes makes a sauce (about 5 minutes).
- Return the salmon to the skillet and allow it to simmer in the sauce until the salmon flakes easily with a fork (about 10 minutes).
- Stir the beaten egg into the sauce and stir until well integrated. Serve hot over rice.