This was for the subreddit, /r/52weeksofcooking, where the theme was Molecular. This is the only dish I made was Molecular Gastronomy but it really makes the cheese flavour stand out.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook macaroni per package or how you normally would.
- In a small pot, combine milk and sodium citrate. Whisk to dissolve the sodium citrate and heat over medium heat to a simmer.
- Gradually add cheese into simmering liquid, blending each addition with an immersion blender until melted and smooth.
- Drain the macaroni and return to the pot.
- Stir in the warm cheese sauce and fold in bacon pieces.
- Season the macaroni and cheese then serve hot.
You can use almost any type of cheese with this.
You can use water in place of the milk.
If you do not have an immersion blender, a regular blender can be used. Be careful to leave a vent in the blender and work in small batches.