This was for the subreddit, /r/52weeksofcooking, where the theme was Jamaican.
5 lbs Chicken Pieces
1/4 Cup Molasses
2 Tablespoons Canola Oil
1/3 Cup Soy Sauce
Clove 6 Garlic , peeled
4 Inches Fresh Ginger
1 Tablespoon Cinnamon
1 teaspoon Allspice
1 teaspoon Thyme
1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg
1 Serrano Pepper
Island Rice Pilaf
1 1/2 Cups Jasmine Rice
Clove 3 Garlic
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Dried Thyme
1/4 teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper
15 oz Black Beans
1 13.5 oz Coconut Milk Cans
1 1/2 Cups Water
1 20 oz Crushed Pineapple Cans
1/4 Bunch Cilantro
- Add molasses, canola oil, soy sauce, garlic, ginger (peeled and cut into pieces), cinnamon, allspice, thyme, nutmeg, and Serrano pepper to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Place the chicken pieces in a slow cooker so they are close to the bottom as possible. Pour 2/3 of the spice rub over the chicken and rub it in. Save the remaining 1/3.
- Cut the onion into wedges and slice the orange. Add the onion and orange in the slow cooker by nestling the pieces down in and under the chicken.
- Cook on high for 4 hours.
- While the chicken is cooking, prepare the island rice pilaf:
- Add the rice to a medium pot. Mince the garlic and add it to the pot along with the salt, thyme, and red pepper.
- Drain and rinse the black beans and add to the pot. Add the coconut milk and water. Stir to combine all ingredients.
- Place a lid on the bot and bring to a full boil over high heat. As soon as it reaches a boil, turn the heat to low and allow it to simmer 15 – 20 minutes until all liquid is absorbed.
- Allow the pot to rest for 20 minutes.
- Fluff the rice with a fork, drain the pineapple, and chop the cilantro. Fold the pineapple and cilantro into the rice.
- After 4 hours, remove the chicken and place it on a broiler pan. Spread the rest of the spice mixture over the surface of the chicken.
- Broil on high for about 5 minutes or until the skin is crispy and browned but not burned.