Cheddar cheese Sauce
- Mince the garlic and saute it in a large cast iron skillet with oil over medium heat until soft (1 – 2 mins). Drain the can of green chilis. Add the can of tomatoes and drained can of green chiles. Let simmer until half of liquid has reduced (about 5 minutes).
- Cut the cream cheese into chunks and stir into tomato mixture. Skip stirring as the cheese melts, the sauce will become smooth and creamy as the cheese melts (About 2 – 3 minutes).
- Rinse and drain the black beans and then add them to the skillet as well as the frozen corn, shredded chicken, and cumin. Stir to combine and add salt if needed.
- Scoop 1/2 cup of chicken mixture into each tortilla, roll up, and place into a casserole dish.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- While the oven is preheating, cover the enchiladas with enchilada sauce if using canned, then go to step 10. If making own sauce, follow these instructions:
- Add canola oil, flour, chili powder, and A** Blood to a small pot. Turn the heat to medium and whisk the ingredients. Continue to whisk until the mixture starts to bubble (about 2 – 3 minutes). Continue to whisk and cook an additional 1 minute.
- Whisk in the water, tomato paste, cumin, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper until smooth. Allow the sauce to come up to a simmer (3 – 5 mins) at which point the sauce will begin to thicken.
- Add salt and taste. Add additional salt if needed but mine did not need it.
- Place enchiladas in oven and cook for 30 minutes. Take the enchiladas out of the oven and cover with cheddar cheese. Continue to cook 10 more minutes.
I put the cheddar cheese on at the beginning of cooking and it kind of burnt and made a cheesy shell. It was still delicious but if you want a softer tortilla, add it at the last 10 minutes.