I made this recipe for the 7th week of the subreddit, /r/52weeksofcooking, where the theme was poaching. I never poached anything before except an egg but this turned out really great.
- Use kitchen shears to cut shell of lobster all the way down its back. Turn over and cut bottom shell all the way down
- In a sauce pan, bring half the water to a simmer over medium-low heat. Whisk in 1 piece of butter. When butter has melted, add another piece. Continue with all pieces one at a time making sure the mixture DOES NOT come to a boil.
- Keeping the heat on medium low, add the lobster tail and cook for 5 minutes, turning the lobster every one minute. Make sure the mixture does not boil.
- Remove lobster and place in serving bowl.
- In the same saucepan with the remaining butter mixture, turn the heat up to medium and add the garlic. When fragrant (1 – 2 minutes), add the the tomatoes until they have released some of the juices (2 – 3 minutes).
- Top lobster with tomato, garlic mixture and top with basil leaves
Make sure the butter mixture never reaches a boil